BLACK BEAN VEGGIE BURGERThese hearty black bean veggie burgers are packed full of flavour. A healthier fast-food option. Plant-based, low in barb and easy to make.
PREP TIME: 1 HOUR 45 MINS / COOK TIME: 15 MIN / 8 SERVINGS APROX
150 g Organic Black Turtle beans picked over and rinsed
125 g Organic Vegan Burger mix (see notes)
3 Organic Chia eggs or Organic flax eggs (3 tbsp ground Organic chia seeds/ Organic flax seeds + 1/4 cup water)
30 g Tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce (gluten-free if needed) or tamari
3 Garlic cloves
65g Onion, chopped
150g mushrooms finely chopped
2 tsp Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp Organic cumin ground
1/2 tsp Sea salt
3 tbsp Fresh parsley, finely chopped
Black pepper to taste
Cold pressed rapeseed oil for frying
4 Burger buns
Fresh veggies of choice
Choice of sauce
- Soak black beans in a large bowl with water and salt for 8 to 24 hours. Drain and rinse. Combine soaked beans with 4 cups of water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer covered, and then reduce to low heat. Cook until beans are tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Prepare the chia/ flax eggs.
- Stir 125g Vegan Burger mix into a bowl of 175ml boiling water and 2 tsp oil. Let it stand for 10 min.
- Sauté the onion, mushrooms and garlic with ground cumin and Spanish paprika for 7 mins until until soft and most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated
- Roughly mix the burger mix and black beans in a food processor or a blender. Add all the remaining ingredients to the food processor and roughly mix again. Form 6 patties with your hands. Add oats if the mixture is too sticky. If the mixture is too dry, add water.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and add the patties. Fry them for about 5-7mins on each side, until firm. Alternatively, bake them in the oven at 190°C for about 15mins. Assemble the burgers with burger buns, sauces, and toppings of choice.